Some times you read disturbing stuff and it is all you can do to not say, “What the fuck is wrong with you?”
Take, for instance, Wanda, who writes:
And we are THROUGH kowtowing to muslims, atheists, homosexuals and anti-American “artists” living on our tax dollars!
By the end of President George W Bush’s 2nd term:
1) Iraq will be well on the way to being a peaceful Christian country. Once Iraq has gone Christian, the Gospel of Jesus will spread throughout the Middle East. The region will be at peace and millions of Arab souls will be saved through the grace of Jesus Christ.
2) Bush will have appointed at least two USSC Justices and the baby slaughterhouses will finally be closed down forever.
3) Gays will be put back in the closet for good. The sodomy and decency laws will be reinstated and their disgusting disease spreading activities will be outlawed again. Maybe we canâ€™t get rid of them, but we can get them out our childrenâ€™s view.
4) School vouchers will allow parents to send their kids to decent Christian schools instead of the NEA-infested cesspools that exist now.
5) Worthless liberal social welfare programs will be dismantled and replaced by Christian faith-based government funded programs. People will finally get REAL help through Jesus Christ.
6) Filthy shows like Howard Stern, Jerry Springer and Will & Grace will be off the air and replaced with decent Christian family programming. Families will once again be able to turn on the radio or television and not be embarrassed to listen or watch together.
7) The abominable scourge of Internet pornography will end with the expansion and ENFORCEMENT of the Online Decency Act. Pornographers who expose the public to this sickening material will be behind bars where they belong.
You can be with us or against us, but you had BETTER believe one thing:
Christians are DONE sitting at the back of the bus.
Fact-Esque notes, “I love the civil rights reference at the end. Irony is not dead.”
But I’m an angry kind of dude, so I’m more inclined to side with what Chepooka says, “The people that understand the message of Jesus Christ are never the problem. It’s the people that distort the word of God to fit their own skewed, self-loathing, ignorant, hateful view of the world. Until we all fit into that hateful little box of theirs, we’re defined as being on the “outside” of God’s good favor.” You know who these people are. Some of them have flown airplanes into building. They’re the fundementalist assholes who hijack their religion without care.
And, as we’ve long known, they’re not just Muslims, either. Make sure to read this article, but here’s a key excerpt:
They identified five characteristics shared by virtually all fundamentalisms. The fundamentalists’ agenda starts with insistence that their rules must be made to apply to all people, and to all areas of life. There can be no separation of church and state, or of public and private areas of life. The rigid rules of Godï¿½and they never doubt that they and only they have got these rightï¿½must become the law of the land. Pat Robertson, again, has said that just as Supreme Court justices place a hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution, so they should also place a hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible. In Khomeini’s Iran, and in the recent Taliban rule of Afghanistan, we saw how brutal and bloody this looks in real time.
The second agenda item is really at the top of the list, and it’s vulgarly simple: Men are on top. Men are bigger and stronger, and they rule not only through physical strength but also and more importantly through their influence on the laws and rules of the land. Men set the boundaries. Men define the norms, and men enforce them. They also define women, and they define them through narrowly conceived biological functions. Women are to be supportive wives, mothers, and homemakers.
A third item follows from the others. (Indeed each part of the fundamentalist agenda is necessarily interlocked, and needs every other part to survive.) Since there is only one right picture of the world, one right set of beliefs, and one right set of roles for men, women, and children, it is imperative that this picture and these rules be communicated precisely to the next generation. Therefore, fundamentalists must control education by controlling textbooks and teaching styles, deciding what may and may not be taught.
Fourth, fundamentalists spurn the modern, and want to return to a nostalgic vision of a golden age that never really existed. Several of the scholars observed a strong and deep resemblance between fundamentalism and fascism. Both have almost identical agendas. Men are on top, women are subservient, there is one rigid set of rules, with police and military might to enforce them, and education is tightly controlled by the state. One scholar suggested that it’s helpful to understand fundamentalism as religious fascism, and fascism as political fundamentalism. The phrase ï¿½overcoming the modernï¿½ is a fascist slogan dating back to at least 1941.
The fifth point is the most abstract, though it’s foundational. Fundamentalists deny history in a radical and idiosyncratic way. Fundamentalists know as well or better than anybody that culture shapes everything it touches: The times we live in color how we think, what we value, and the kind of people we become. Fundamentalists agree on the perverseness of modern American society: the air of permissiveness and narcissism, individual rights unbalanced by responsibilities, sex divorced from commitment, and so on. What they don’t want to see is the way culture colored the era when their scriptures were created.
The Muslim fundies attacked from outside, and all they could hope to do was kill us. The Christian fundies work from the inside, hiding in the shadows, ready for the character-assassination, and doing a good job at keeping those who must oppose them jumping every time they say boo. Chepooka says, “Says who you cracker motherfucker?!” She also writes, “LET US FRAME THE ARGUMENT. Let us sound our voices loud! Who cares who we offend? They do not care who they offend. Why do we care so much? Why do we think with our brains and not our hearts? These people don’t have brains and they are kicking our asses! … Shame on us for wanting to fight against what is CLEARLY a willful agenda to impose a religious, theofascist state on a secular society? Excuse me for wanting to fight for personal liberty, civil rights, freedom of religion and expression, and everything that this country has ever stood for. That includes REAL Judeo-Christian ethics, which these people have tossed neatly out the window.”
These are fighting words. And we are in for a fight.